A few things about this post:
1: It’s almost impossible to actually know what the best cupcake is in DC because
- There are places that just do private orders that are better than the places you can buy a single cupcake
- Each person can have a different taste in cupcakes
- Outliers are making dents in the surrounding DMV area.
2: I had to set limits
- Did not Reviewed cupcakeries in the immediate DC city limits UNLESS someone brought/bought me an establishment’s bites of bliss.
- Did not do any private orders (only single cupcakes) UNLESS someone brought/bought me an establishment’s bites of bliss.
- With that, I’ve created a Watchlist at the bottom for these private order entities.
- Unique flavors/combinations
- I LOVE baking my own cupcakes. My cupcake selection therefor is based on flavors I COULD NOT BAKE MYSELF.
- If I’m going out for dessert, I want to go OUT
- I want to enjoy the delectable dessert in it’s own environment. This includes actual space & service
- Money matters
- I don’t care if it’s the best tasting cake, if it’s $8, and something a TBSP less tasty is $4, I’m going for the $4 (and getting 2).
Let’s get our cake on!
Location: Barrack’s Row (SE Capitol Hill) and DuPont Circle
Atmosphere: Sterile Kitchen. Places for seating by the windows, but general “metal feeling.”
Cupcake: Raspberry Beret
Why the buzz? HUGE flavor selection (including vegan selection that offers multiple cakes & frostings), locations close to dinner hot spots easily accessible by Metro, and decorating classes.
Review & Rating: 3/5
Location: Old Town Alexandria & Alexandria
Size: Average w/ an extra heap of frosting
Cupcakes: Mojito, Cherry Hazelnut & Strawberry Champagne
Why the Buzz? New location on King Street, owner works cash register and is EXTREMELY friendly, unique rotating flavors, and connects and rewards fans over Facebook.
Review and Rating: 3.5/5
Atmosphere: Long Ikea coffee shop with a Southern Darlin’ serving up the sweets
Cupcake: Banana Pudding
Size: Slightly larger cake, slightly less frosting
Why the Buzz? Bakery and cafe that opened in 2008 and has been raved about since. Known for their pies & cupcakes in which you have the option to get them frosted or leave them plain, people love the flavors, and the owner who is super sweet and southern.
Review and Rating: 3.75/5
3. Baked & Wired:
Atmosphere: Vibrant lounge, large selection, additional coffee bar.
Cupcake: The Tessita (vanilla cake with dulce de leche filling and chocolate-hazelnut satin icing)
Why the Buzz? More than just a cupcakery, but an edgy-cool destination: cookies, bars, brownies, and quiches, bagels, and a full espresso bar. This is the best atmosphere of any cupcake place in DC & also the BIGGEST cupcakes as well.
Review and Rating: 4/5
Location: Georgetown & Bethesda (and expanding nation wide)
Cupcake: Peanut Butter Fudge (valrhona chocolate cupcake with a fudge core topped with a peanut butter frosting and
fudge star drizzle). Other favorites: Banana Split and The FREAKIN BEST Salted Caramel.
Why the Buzz? The inciting incident of the DC Cupcake scene, TLC’s DC Cupcakes, and the popularity of gourmet cupcakes. People also see the line outside, and feel like they need to try it.
Atmosphere: Hole-in-the-wall with class. No seating.
Cupcake: Fire Breathing Chocolate (Dragon): (mandarin-scented dark chocolate cake, filled with spicy fudge,
topped with milk chocolate buttercream.
Review and Rating: 5/5
- Grey DC, Eastern Market, H Street Festival, H Street bars are regulars.
Price: Minis (only at events): Free. Dozen (minimum) $35 ($2.91 per cupcake)
Price: Free! at Event
Review and Rating: 5/5
Products: Cake Pops (also Bagels & Rugelach)
Price: Dozen (minimum) at $33 ($2.75 per pop)
Why the Buzz? Cakepops that make your taste buds pop (irresistibly), a PERFECT (EXTREMELY RARE) 5-Star rating on Yelp, & searching for a storefront in Georgetown soon.
How I found Baked By Yael: Introduced to Yael at the Washingtonian Best Of Party
Cakepop: Cookies in Cream dipped in Green Chocolate coating.
Size: About 1 inch ball on a stick
Review and Rating: 4.75/5
They (will soon again) Do: Private orders out of DuPont Circle, but are currently NOT accepting orders.
Product: Mini Cupcakes
Price: Dozen (minimum) at $18 ($1.50 per mini cupcake)
Why the Buzz? A near perfect 5-Star rating on Yelp
How I Found Little Bird Cupcakes: While researching for this post (main source: Yelp).
Review and Rating: ??/5
Haven’t had the opportunity to try these yet, but the praise alone puts them on my radar. Plus, I would love getting mini cupcakes so I could get more flavors.
Guess this means I will have to do another Best Of DC post on Cupcakes again 1 day.
Thoughts on this cupcake-foolry? Agree/disagree? Throw it at me!